Thursday, February 11, 2010

Escape Under the Forever Sky

I have almost finished reading a great novel called Escape Under the Forever Sky, which is written by Eve Yohalem. It's about a 13-year-old American girl whose mother is the ambassador of Ethiopia. Lucy Hoffman never is allowed to go out and do things like any other teenagers. She sneaks out with a friend, but gets kidnapped by 3 strangers. Lucy decides to try to escape from her jail cell and run for it. She manages out into the wild and has to overcome many fears and challenges: hyenas, lions, dogs, the kidnappers, and has to find a way to get water and food, fast. 

I feel very badly for Lucy because she never gets to have any fun like anyone else. If I were her, I'd hate being all cooped up in a palace with no social life. If I were kidnapped, I would also be courageous and run away. I do many of the same things that Lucy did: hide in a tree, try to find a stream for hydration, and be silent during the night if I heard hyenas.

I would really hate my life if I were Lucy, but I wouldn't have a choice. I would try to avoid thinking about the cons of being alone in the wild and try to think of the good things. At least Lucy is an animal expert and she knows almost all the behaviors of wildlife in Africa. Lucy needs to be brave and keep trying or else she will be found or worse, killed.

3 comments:

  1. OH my gosh!!! I have also read this book and I apsolutely loved it. I think that if I were Lucy I would never of gone out or lied to my mom. I thought what she did was wrong of running away but she was very brave in escaping, especially when she is surronded by lions. It iss a great book and I think anybody else would enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the book but have not read it yet! Is it one of your favorites?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blowandpop, Escape Under the Forever Sky is definitely one of my favorite books. I would totally recommend it to you. Thanks for commenting!

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete