Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ruby Bridges

A few years ago, Ruby Bridges came to meet the fifth graders in Purchase Elementary School. She came to talk about her struggles in school and everything she was put through. Mrs. Bridges was a very interesting person. She spoke about her helping teacher and how she felt as the angry whites protested against her. If I were Ruby, I would so scared to have people yelling at me just because the color of my skin and burly bodyguards trying to protect me. I would also have to be very brave and shy. If Ruby tried to rebel against the crazy parents, she would get into big trouble, maybe even die. Ruby was a very courageous young girl trying to fight for her rights of going to school in peace.

1 comment:

  1. Ruby Bridges was from New Orleans. The famous illustrator Norman Rockwell painted a picture of her going to school entitled "The Problem We Live With." Google it and check it out. I'm glad that you read this book and learned about her.

    ReplyDelete