Monday, May 31, 2010

White Water Rafting

Hi everyone and happy Memorial Day! My family and I just got back from a white water rafting trip in 3 different states: Virginia, West Virginia, and Maryland. For my mom, brother, and I, it was our first time on a rafting trip. My dad had gone before and so had some of the other families with us had too.

Yesterday was the frantic day of sports. In the morning we got up early for an hour drive to the rafting place. We rented bikes and rode down to Harpers' Ferry and had lunch there. Then, we took a bus to the beach and split into groups for each raft. I was with two friends, a few adults, and of course, a tour guide. We set out onto the cold water and the adventure began. At first, we stayed in the calmer water, but as the tour progressed, we moved onto some fun rapids! There were three rapids, which were all very enjoyable. The first one was like sitting on an electric chair because it just rattled your boat along. The next was more dangerous and it was the most common place to fall on the whole trip. There was a sharp turn of water and many rocks that brought you quickly down a hill. We all got soaked, but it was amazing! Sadly, one of the people in our family's group (not raft) fell out of the raft. Luckily, she, like everybody else, was forced to wear a bulky helmet and life guard. The last rapid was supposedly the most intense, but I didn't think so. There was a bunch of rocks going downwards, like a staircase. They rapidly made our raft plunk down one by one.

The white water rafting trip was loads of fun. I would definitely go back to do it again, although, I think I'd prefer a more challenging course.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe I'll find one where they filmed those Indiana Jones movies...

    ReplyDelete